An Amazing Experience...
Nearly every Saturday, from late March to late October, the Zoo Society schedules a few VIP tours that take visitors behind-the-scenes and up close and personal with some of the Zoo's most popular animals. We keep these tours small to allow everyone time to talk to the keepers and, in some cases, to feed the animals.
We offer 12 unique VIP Tours, each of which visits a different behind-the-scenes area. These tours are arranged to be exciting, fun and educational, but we also plan the tours with an eye on keeping our visitors and our animals safe. Consequently, the Zoo's Animal Division has established guidelines that we follow as we visit different species of animals. These guidelines limit the number of people we can take into the different back areas and also specify how old a child must be to attend the different tours.
Click on one of the buttons below to review a complete listing of our VIP Tours organized by species or by date.
Please keep in mind that tour admission prices are tax-deductible as a donation to the NC Zoo Society and that all donations are used to support the North Carolina Zoo's wildlife conservation programs.
Questions about the VIP Tour program may be directed to:
Dr Jayne Owen Parker
NC Zoo Society
Private Behind the Scenes Tours
The Zoo Society is happy to work with you to arrange a private, behind-the-scenes tour featuring your favorite animal. The price of a private tour is $500. We limit the size of private tours to no more than six people. An adult must accompany any child younger than 16.
The following tours are available:
- VIP Tour with Chimpanzees (begins at 3 p.m.)
- VIP Tour with a Cougar (begins at 1:30 p.m.)
- Meet and Feed the Elephants (begins at 1:15 p.m)
- Meet and Feed the Giraffes (begins at 5:30 p.m.)
- Meet and Feed the Gorillas (begins at 1:15 p.m.)
- VIP Tour With a Grizzly Bear (begins at 1:30 p.m.)
- VIP Tour with Lions (begins at 3 p.m.)
- Meet and Feed the Otters (begins at 11 a.m.)
- Meet and Feed the Puffins (begins at 1:30 p.m.)
- Close up with Seals and Polar Bears (begins at 1:30 p.m.)
- Meet a Rhino - Up Close at the Rhino Barn (begins at 10:30 a.m.)
- Private VIP Aviary Feeding (begins at 8:15 a.m.)
All or nearly all of the purchase price is tax-deductible as a donation to the NC Zoo Society, the private non-profit organization that supports the NC Zoo.
More information is available on the Private VIP Tours Brochure.