Valerie H. Schindler Wildlife Learning Center
The Valerie H. Schindler Wildlife Education Center is a multi-function facility owned and operated by the North Carolina Zoo Society. The Center functions primarily as a residence for students, interns, and other temporary staff and volunteers while they are working at the North Carolina Zoo.
The Center also contains a full-service kitchen, living room, and several meeting rooms that may be rented for personal use. Free WiFi is available throughout the Center for residents and for meeting room occupants.
LOCATION: The Schindler Center is located at 2663 Old Cox Road in Asheboro, North Carolina (Google map). The building is within a five-minute drive of the North Carolina Zoo's North American entrance and is a short walk from the Zoo's Veterinary Center.
- Interns, students, researchers, and volunteers may rent lodging at the Center while they are working at the Zoo. The Center's five bedrooms can house up to 14 people. Two private bedrooms are available; the remaining rooms are furnished with two to four beds. Each of the five bedrooms is equipped with a mini-fridge and microwave.
- Residents have access to a laundry room and lounge.
- Students and researchers must apply for space at the center at least seven days before they plan to arrive.
Please use this link to request lodging.
MEETING ROOMS - The Center's meeting rooms have already been reserved for every remaining Saturday and Sunday in 2019.
- A large meeting room (maximum capacity 50 people) and two break-out satellite rooms on the basement level may be rented by businesses, Zoo Society members, and other people in the community;
- Meeting room rental provides access to a full-service kitchen, a spacious great room, a large meeting room, and a large screened-in porch.
- Please use this link to request meeting space, but be aware that the meeting rooms have ready been booked for every remaining Saturday and Sunday in 2019.
- Please note that a reservation request made using the link above is not considered to be confirmed until an NC Zoo Society representative sends you a confirmation email.
- Also, please note that reservation requests should be made no less than two weeks before your event.
- The online reservation system will allow you to reserve a seven-hour block for a particular day. If you prefer to reserve the facility for a full day (8:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m., please state your preference in the "Notes" field of your reservation request.
- We review event requests weekly, from Monday morning through Thursdays. We do not review requests on Fridays or weekends.
If you plan to rent rooms in the Schindler Center in 2020, please be advised that our pricing structure will change beginning on January 1, 2020. You may download a description of our 2020 Schindler Center Rental Fees.
To learn more about the Schindler's Center's resources and to review the pricing structure for renting space at the Center in 2919m please download the Schindler-Learning-Center-Rental-Information-Sheet for 2019 1).
GAINING ACCESS TO THE SCHINDLER LEARNING CENTER
To learn more about the Schindler's Center's resources and to review the pricing structure for renting space at the Center, please download the 2019 Schindler-Learning-Center-Rental-Information-Sheet(1).
If you would like more information about staying at the Schindler Center or hosting an event there, please complete the appropriate online form. A North Carolina Zoo Society representative will contact you within five business days of receiving your request.
If you are a student or researcher who wants to stay at the Center, please submit your inquiry at least two weeks before the date that you hope to begin your stay.