Valerie H. Schindler Wildlife Learning Center
Located at 2663 Old Cox Rd. in Asheboro, NC (Google map), the Valerie H. Schindler Wildlife Education Center is a multi-function facility owned and operated by the North Carolina Zoo Society. The Center functions primarily as a residence for students, interns, and other temporary staff and volunteers while they are working at the North Carolina Zoo. The Center also contains a full-service kitchen, living room, and several meeting rooms that may be rented for personal use. Free WiFi is available throughout the Center for residents and for meeting room occupants.
- Interns, students, researchers, and volunteers may rent lodging at the Center while working at the Zoo. The Center's five bedrooms can house 14 people. Two bedrooms are private; the remaining three rooms sleep two to four people. Each bedroom has a mini-fridge and a microwave.
- Residents have access to a laundry room and lounge.
- Prospective renters should apply to stay at the Center at least seven days before their planned visit.
- Businesses, Zoo Society members, and community members may rent a large meeting room (maximum capacity 50 people) and two break-out rooms in a fully-finshed basement.
- Meeting room rentals provide access to a full-service kitchen, a great room, a large meeting room, and a large screened-in porch.
- Basement breakout room rentals are available only as an add-on when renting the meeting room. Groups may not reserve basement rooms unless they are reserving the upstairs meeting room for the same period.
The Center's current rental fee schedule is available below for download:
2020 Rental Fees
Accessing the Schindler Learning Center
If you would like more information about staying at the Schindler Center or hosting an event there, please complete the appropriate online form. A North Carolina Zoo Society representative will contact you within five business days of receiving your request.
If you are a student or researcher who wants to stay at the Center, please submit your inquiry at least two weeks before the date that you hope to begin your stay.